Games Your Kids Will Never Tire of Playing – Fish Gobbler
I love this game! More importantly, kids love this game!
This game can be played inside or outside. It requires no equipment. And there’s LOTS of running!
You need a big, empty space (like a field or a gymnasium) and basically the children will have to run from one side of the room to the other without getting caught.
Here’s the lay-out of the playing area:
- On one side of the playing area is the ship.
- On the opposite side of the playing area is the shore.
- The space between the ship and the shore is the ocean.
- Appoint one player or leader to stand in the ocean – they are the Fish Gobbler.
- Another leader – standing on the sidelines – is the caller
- All the other players start by touching the ship-side of the playing area.
Here’s how to play:
The caller shouts directions – either “ship” or “shore” – and the children have to run in that direction. The caller can call out either of these directions at any time (even while children are in the middle of the room, running in one direction) and the children have to run in the direction called.
Meanwhile, the Fish Gobbler just stands there and does nothing… until the caller calls out “Fish Gobbler!”
At this point, the Fish Gobbler can run around and tag the players. In order for the players to be safe from the Fish Gobbler, they must lie down on the floor and touch another player. Anyone caught by the Fish Gobbler becomes another Fish Gobbler.
Continue play until everyone is a fish gobbler.
Reasons Why I Love this Game:
- All children play at the same time. No one is left out.
- It is easy to learn and simple to play.
- It is easy to include new players into the game, even in the middle of the game.
- It is extremely versatile – it can be played almost anywhere, requires no equipment, and can be played with almost any number of children
- I love the shrieks of laughter I hear whenever I play this game.