CONTEST: Decorating Your Classroom on a Budget
Last year I needed to design a special bulletin board that focused on the Bible. We were encouraging our kids to get in the habit of bringing their Bibles to Sunday School. I wanted a fun, colorful bulletin board that highlighted the Bible and the facts about the Bible that we would be teaching the kids. Our church doesn’t have a resource room and so I had to get creative if I was going to design this bulletin board. I created some Bible verse posters, and made some New Testament and Old Testament signs. I still needed trim and letters so I decided to try the local dollarstore. I was pretty excited to find that they sold letters and trim! I didn’t have a budget for this project but I didn’t mind spending my own money since it was only a few dollars.
Often Sunday School teachers have a great idea for decorating their classroom but they are constrained by budget (a small budget or no budget at all!)
So teachers need to get creative to find ways to have a fun, engaging classroom with little to no budget.
Here are a few tips:
- Make pictures and posters yourself (if you have the talent!) or ask your class too. Kids love to see their own artwork on the walls.
- Use the dollarstore and the thriftstore. I have found all kinds of interesting materials and ideas when browsing through the local thrift store and dollarstore.
- Don’t throw away old curriculum until you have searched through it for posters, pictures, and resources that you can re-use in your classroom.
- Ask a creative, artistic person to help you design some posters for your classroom.
I want to see how you decorate your classroom and I’m giving a prize for the best decorated classroom I see. I am giving away a signed copy of my book, The Well Equipped Volunteer Children’s Ministry Handbook. Take a picture of your classroom and send it in, along with the approximate amount it cost to decorate. Send your pictures to email@example.com.
I will be looking for the most creative, fun classroom that uses its decorations to focus the children on Jesus, the gospel, and the Bible (and does it affordably!)
- Please send no more than 5 pictures of your classroom (please keep your email below 5mb to ensure I receive it.)
- I’ll be the judge.
- Multiple submissions for multiple classrooms are okay, but you can only submit one classroom once.
- Submitting pictures allows me to post them on my website so please ensure your pictures do not include children.
- This contest is limited to Canada and the US.
The winner will be announced on March 2, 2015 at 12:00pm central time.